1929 The MacMillans
Their son, George Gordon MacMillan inherited
Finlaystone in 1955, and married in 1961 to Jane Spurgin. With Janes
background in botany and social work, the wider estate opened to the public
in 1975 as a paid attraction followed by the introduction of the Ranger
service in 1976. During the 1980s the development of visitor facilities
included the building of the Visitor Centre, public toilets, play areas
and tearoom. With his background in teaching, George began the development
of an educational focus for the estate.
George and Janes eldest son, Arthur, became Chief Executive of the Clyde Shipping Company (now Clyde Marine Company) in 1995 and now owns the house. Arthur his wife Barbara and two sons live there.
The estate has now become one of Renfrewshires
most popular paid visitor attractions.
Home | Contact Us | News & Events | Admission & Find Us
Children & Schools | Gardens | Woodlands | Giftshop & Tearoom | About the Rangers | History | Architecture
Finlaystone Country Estate, Langbank, Renfrewshire, PA14 6TJ, Scotland
Tel./Fax +44 (0)1475-540505